Thursday, March 27, 2008

So this Constance just beat out 100 applicants for a brand spanking new job. Much rejoicing throughout the land and lots of cocktails to be imbibed in the coming days.

I'll be doing something I love, and they want to pay me good money to do it.

Naturally, I'm ecstatic, but also scared out of my mind. Plus, it's hard on Liam. He's been struggling since we moved, trying to find the perfect job, going on interview after interview, working temp jobs and going weeks without work. He's happy for me, but I know that my success also fuels his depression and feelings of unworthiness. So while celebrating my new position, I also have to take time out to counsel him. It's hard sometimes, but I love him, so I work through it.

I've always been the breadwinner; however, I made a big stink before we moved about how we needed to be more in line sharing expenses. He's got a litany of excuses he's used since day one to get out of paying for heat, electricity, etc...and truth to be told, I AM SICK OF IT!!!! He got a big lecture from me the other day, complete with spreadsheet detailing current expenses and current payments from each, alongside a proposal detailing how we could split our household expenses 50-50. He agreed, and I made a point to say this plan will be implemented before the warm weather hits. Fast forward a week or so....he says to me, "Before I start contributing more to the family fund, I'd like to by X, Y, Z.." and got PISSED when I freaked about it.

I am a firm believer that Men Don't Change. It's the cornerstone of many a discussion I've had with my girlfriends. Liam and I have been together for a looooong time and I'm worried now that I should step back and plug in the Men Don't Change equation, and see how it applies to my current situation. Am I screwed? Destined to continue to bear the brunt of our financial responsibilities?

At least I get to do something I like for work.....

1 comment:

"Constance-1-M" said...

Translation: "Before I contribute to the roof over my head, the food I eat & the electricity with which I watch our cable television ~ I would like to spoil myself with personal items because my life is hard and I deserve them."

I would have FREAKED. OUT.

I would still be kicking him in the tail.